Thursday, 25 February 2010

chicken chat

We have been talking a lot about chickens this week. We (well our gardener) is building a chicken run and house so that we can have about 10 chickens for eggs. The doc has been reading too much Hugh (Fearnley-Whittenstall) and would also like some broilers that we can fatten up for the pot.

 

We tried eating a “local chicken” this week, I wouldn’t recommend them although our eldest does now understand about where chicken comes from and has a handful of feathers as a memento! Fortunately neither of them saw our gardener chasing (what I assume to be) a headless chicken around the garage. The vendor who came to the gate allowed us to choose a chicken and once we had selected he put the rejected ones (still live) back into the basket beak first through a small opening, I’m not sure what Hugh would say about that.

1 comment:

  1. Can't believe I'll be the last one of the three of us to get chickens.......have you heard latest from newton small holding-the Ginger chicken is a he not a she-started crowing!!

    ReplyDelete