Now that we have been here 6 months there are some aspects of life that have definitely lost their novelty. Last week I went on two trips with Jonas our gardener to buy supplies for building a chicken house and run; the first was to buy poles at one of the stalls at the side of the road. When we pulled up alongside the huge pile of tree trunks the car was immediately surrounded by men, all shouting. Jonas took charge and gradually the group dispersed until we were left with the owner and a couple of guys who helped saw the trunks and tie them to the roof of the car. I am learning Chichewa but it is frustratingly slow and I am not sure that I shall ever know enough to tell everything that is being said. Our second trip was on Sat, the doc had offered to go but he was still asleep at 8 am so I agreed to go. This experience was slightly more civilised we greeted the men in the sales office, discussed our requirements and waited a long time for the planks to be sawn up. I am getting used to the waiting, the extra cost just because I am white and the extra money for anyone who has helped. Actually the last bit I mind less as it feels like an easy way to help someone; the guy who helped us at the sawmill had a flip-flop on one foot and a very ancient trainer on the other, I was surprisingly disturbed by this.
Monday, 22 February 2010
no novelty
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment