We might have left Africa but it has not left me. I always thought that I might leave a part of me behind or maybe I've brought a part of it with me.
I take every opportunity to talk about it, I hear about it in the news and I would jump at the opportunity to visit. Friends we left behind continue without us while life here carries on at full tilt, making it difficult to savour the experiences of life.
When I left I said that I would be sad if I never returned.
In Malawi I struggled to find a purpose and definition for my life but knew that I was supporting the doc who was doing his thing. He had a purpose and we could see the difference that he was making, to his individual patients and through his research to others who would follow. How do we make a decision about where to be, it's not about what's easier or better, because they are subjective. Is it about our contribution?
No comments:
Post a Comment