Thursday, 28 April 2011

back home

We had a lovely holiday and now it’s back home. It was nice to come home and the weather here is definitely better than it was in Cape Town. I spent a long time queuing at the bank yesterday to get money out for paying salaries and have just paid our staff their monthly wages. Usually the doc does salaries and I do day-to-day stuff for the staff. I feel guilty giving them their pay, I know that we pay good wages and they are in the majority, as 75% of people in Malawi live on less than $1 per day, but when I look at the paltry pile of notes and think about how we spend that amount of money.

 

Being a tourist on holiday was lovely, I wasn’t responsible for anyone (apart from the doc and the kids) the only decisions were what to do and where to eat lunch. We ate lots of lovely food that we don’t get here in Malawi and spent time with our friends, who joined us from the UK. There is something refreshing about being around people who have known us a long time, there is so much that doesn’t need explanation.

 

We played on the beach and swam in the sea (it is renowned for being particularly cold). On our last day in the city itself we asked the girls what they would like to do and rather drive down the southern point or see penguins they chose to ride the big red bus! We all really enjoyed it, we got a great overview of the city and its history (through funky red headphones) and it was warm enough to sit up top and enjoy the views.

No comments:

Post a Comment