Wednesday, 9 February 2011

obstruction

On our way to Liwonde National Park for a bit of safari (we’ve not been for a few weeks!) with our current visitor I managed to acquire an unusual fine. We had pulled off the main road onto a side road for a bit of a leg stretch and a ginger biscuit, when we were approached by a police lady who explained that although this was a wide one way road I was causing an obstruction and would have to pay a fine. I did try to persuade her otherwise but she was adamant. Not only was there a fine but we had to go to the police station to sort out the paperwork, I’m not sure what would have happened if I had just driven off. The proximity of the police station explains why I was cautioned for an offence I see flouted all the time, it was just around the corner! Once we got to the office she agreed to reduce the fine but explained that as it was Sun there was no cash office at the station so I would have to go back to the road block that we had passed sometime before. I offered to go the next day as we would be returning but that would mean that the receipt had the wrong date so we had to make a detour and then continue our journey. Those who have driven with me in Malawi will feel sorry for my passenger who put up with my frustration!

No comments:

Post a Comment