Tuesday, 21 September 2010

Long Journey

I’m not sure that journeys are ever uneventful and we have begun to expect some delays when travelling to or through Africa but I still find myself surprised when our plans don’t go the way I expected. Our flights back to Malawi were straightforward, the doc did a lot of child entertaining (with help from Peppa Pig and an ipad) and I was quite relaxed. Our eldest is really suffering from travel sickness, when flying which is grim for her but she is now big enough to get it in the bag! We landed at Lilongwe (almost) on time and customs weren’t too interested in our luggage (fortunately) but our driver which we had organised through the doc’s work was very late. We loaded up and set off (an hour and half after we cleared customs) to be told that we had to go to the company’s office to get fuel, this turned out to involve a change of vehicle which meant that we had to wake up the kids who’d just fallen asleep. Inevitably they got to sleep again just before we reached the only place that we know that we can get food, so we woke them again, enjoyed our toasted sandwiches and set off again. By this point it was dark and getting late, both the doc and I nodded off to be woken to cries of “I’m going to be sick”!  We got home about 9pm to be met by our lovely housekeeper and an immaculate house.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment