Sunday, 4 September 2011

real africa

I feel like a real African adventurer as I have now experienced malaria.

 

The doc and his cohorts are all finding it an interesting case as I was on prophylaxis and we had been in the UK for eight weeks before I showed any symptoms. I suffered for 2 weeks, we tried two malaria tests in that time and they both showed negative. A friendly doctor friend suggested trying antibiotics so we tried two different sorts. The doc did some blood tests, I think the results were quite impressive as he was much more sympathetic after that! He did a second lot of bloods and after a lot of time at the microscope spotted 1 malaria parsite! The local treatment had amazing results and I feel so much better. I expect that I am probably still anaemic and I am not quite ready to play tennis again but I can get through the day without going to bed and have had no fevers since starting treatment.

 

I have never felt so ill, or for such a long time. Continuous fevers are really quite de-habilitating. The knock on effects are being behind on work and the household is pretty chaotic.

No comments:

Post a Comment